For the previous week and a half, I attempted out Nutrisense and wore a CGM to observe my glucoses ranges. Sharing a recap of my expertise right here! I used to be gifted the Nutrisense membership for 1 month to strive, and this put up is just not sponsored. My code to strive it out is GINA50 for $50 off <— not affiliate, simply needed to share a reduction with you all.
Hello associates! How’s the week going? Thanks a lot for all the stunning birthday needs for P! We had an incredible day celebrating and capped it off with the requested hibachi dinner. I hope you’re having a beautiful week, too!
For at the moment’s put up, I needed to share a recap of my expertise utilizing Nutrisense. I’ve been interested by this firm for some time, particularly after doing my Inside Tracker bloodwork earlier this yr. My fasting glucose ranges had been a bit on the excessive aspect, and I used to be involved that it might be a deeper drawback. I waited it out, and after my good friend Mia posted about utilizing Nutrisense to observe her blood glucose ranges, I knew I needed to offer it a strive. I reached out to the corporate and was excited once they supplied me a month to strive it out and see how I favored it.
I acquired the product and was SO nervous to place it on (hello, I’m a large needle phobe) and waited and waited till Mia stated that she’d stroll me by means of the entire course of and fix hers on the identical time. You can watch the video here and witness the second I virtually began having a panic assault on reside video. (She was like, “See, you’ll be able to see the needle proper there” and I turned white.) I actually needed the information, so I took a deep breath and went for it. I’m actually glad I did, as a result of being able to see my physique’s response to completely different meals was extraordinarily helpful.
(I’m smiling however panicking. Seems, attaching the CGM was NOTHING like I imagined it might be. It was painless and tremendous simple.)
What’s Nutrisense and the way does it work?
Nutrisense is a program that provides knowledgeable steering in alignment with a Steady Glucose Monitor (CGM). The CGM tracks your blood glucose at 15-minute intervals all through the day, so that you’re in a position to see how sleep patterns, eating regimen, train, stress, and vitamin affect your blood glucose ranges. Constantly elevated glucose may cause irritation and harm within the physique, so it may be useful to see how your physique responds to the elements above, significantly the way it recovers. For instance, in case your blood glucose spikes after a carb-heavy or sugary meal, does it keep elevated? Or does it get better inside 2 hours? How excessive is the spike??
Whenever you join Nutrisense, your CGM is delivered to you, together with particulars on methods to connect it. (You possibly can watch me do that right here!) You’ll connect the CGM and protecting patch, obtain the app, and scan your CGM to begin monitoring the information. It often takes about an hour after including it to your cellphone to acknowledge it and begin scanning. (You simply click on “scan” on the app and maintain your cellphone up the the CGM the place the digicam is positioned.)
Inside the app, you’re initially paired with a Registered Dietitian who can assist you interpret the information, make suggestions, and run experiments.
The service begins at $350 for month, and the associated fee goes down relying on the time dedication. (With a 12-month dedication, it’s $199/month.)
The CGM that Nutrisense makes use of is the Freestyle Libre and so they expire in 14 days. (You app will let you already know when your sensor is expiring.)
What kind of information do you obtain and the way do you interpret the information?
Your blood glucose is charted 24/7 and you may see how excessive will get and the way lengthy it takes to stabilize. It may be fascinating to see spikes all through the night time how completely different patterns have an effect on your blood glucose.
I obtained this from my RD, who messaged me incessantly and was all the time obtainable to reply questions: (this was after a smoothie that brought about the next spike than I anticipated)
To assist present extra context, I need to stroll you thru what I’m as I assess a glucose response so let’s try your breakfast on 10/11 for instance (chocolate, smoothie, almond milk):
Peak (^ in your meal card). First, we need to take a look at the height glucose worth and goal to keep away from repeated publicity above 140. Your peak glucose worth was 114, which is nicely beneath the edge and a traditional peak!
Publicity (squiggly line on meal card). Second, we additionally desire a small space beneath the curve (AUC). So a fast glucose spike to 150 however a return to pre-meal glucose values inside 1 hour of consuming is a small space beneath the curve, however a gradual glucose climb to 130 and staying elevated for 4 hours could be a a lot bigger space beneath the curve. We would like glucose to return to pre-meal values inside 2-3 hours after consuming. You possibly can assist monitor your AUC by assessing your meal card AUC values and by checking your normal deviation within the analytics. Your AUC was 42.9- I’d say optimally I’m searching for <30, however <50 remains to be okay!
Stability (triangle on meal card). We additionally need to keep away from main “shifts” in glucose. So it might be potential that after a meal you solely went to 130 (which is nice!), however your pre-meal worth was 70, so that may be fairly a giant swing. You possibly can monitor this by assessing your delta values, as we all the time need to attempt for a delta <30. Your delta was 33, which is nice!!
Restoration (2h rating on meal card). Lastly, we would like glucose to return to pre-meal values inside 2-3 hours after consuming. Your response was 23, which tells me you had been 23 factors from baseline worth on the 2 hour mark.
What I realized utilizing a Nutrisense CGM:
– Some buffers to stop a blood sugar spike, particularly while you’re having higher-carb meals: take a stroll earlier than or after your meal, have some kind of protein first, reasonable carb consumption, and meal timing. Since your insulin sensitivity is best throughout the day and wanes in the direction of the night, chances are you’ll tolerate meals higher if consumed within the afternoon as a substitute of late at night time. That is completely the case for wine with me – if I’ve it late-afternoon, it doesn’t have an effect on my sleep.
– Complete foods-based carbs don’t have a major impact on me, particularly once they’re paired with protein. (Berries, apples, bananas, and oranges didn’t trigger a spike, even after I ate them by themselves.) Oatmeal, paleo pancakes, Siete tortillas, and starchy veggies had been the identical. Refined carbs, however, did trigger a spike. We went to a celebration at a buddy’s home and I had extra sweets and refined carbs than normal (plus champagne) and my blood glucose was elevated all night time and the next day. It was fascinating to see how one meal can have an effect on your insulin sensitivity for the next day.
– Wine spikes my blood sugar, tequila doesn’t. (An vital lesson haha.) Each get better high-quality if I’ve one glass, however two glasses led to elevated ranges the next day. This experiment verified the truth that I don’t do nicely with a ton of alcohol, and it’s been a very good reminder to attenuate it. (Proper now I’m at one or possibly two drinks per week.)
– Additionally, my physique loves tacos, beans, and rice. 🙂 I had my normal Wednesday night time Mexican meal with the household and no big spike.
– Peace of thoughts. A big proportion of our inhabitants is just not metabolically versatile, which might affect how we deal with stress, accidents, and get better from sickness. I used to be involved that my final blood take a look at confirmed the next fasting glucose, however this was in a position to confirm that it isn’t the case for me usually (my blood take a look at was an outlier) and a very good indicator of my metabolic well being. That was my fundamental concern going into this and it was a welcomed sigh of aid.
– The RD assist was invaluable. I liked being able to ask questions, and she or he did a superb job about instructing me methods to see my patterns, assess my response, and perfect goal ranges.
– The app could be very well-designed, simple to navigate and use. I favored utilizing the app and located that at the same time as a beginner, I figured it out pretty simply.
– I ate a bit unusually after I first put it on. It’s like I used to be afraid to eat something that may spike it, and ultimately I needed to inform myself to recover from it and eat usually after a few days. The info wasn’t going to assist me if I solely ate protein and greens for 14 days. So I had margaritas, tacos, desserts, all the issues I usually eat, so it might present a real image. When you’ve got a historical past with disordered consuming, I wouldn’t advocate utilizing this.
– It was uncomfortable and I ended up taking it off a couple of days early. (I believe it was extra the adhesive than the precise sensor.) I acknowledge the privilege I’ve to have the ability to say, “I don’t need to put on this anymore” and take away it, when I’ve associates on the market who rely on a CGM for survival. Simply needed to place a bit observe right here that I see you. <3 I didn’t sleep nicely in any respect for the 11 days I had it hooked up – it was tremendous gentle sleep as a result of I used to be subconsciously frightened about rolling onto it and sleeping on it throughout the night time. Additionally, I used to be a bit shocked by the catheter when the Pilot eliminated it for me – it’s a teeny plastic tube, nevertheless it was longer than I anticipated lol.
All in all, it was a extremely helpful expertise and I loved gaining access to all the information + studying from my Nutrisense RD.
Am I going to connect the second sensor? I believe I’ll undoubtedly do it will definitely however am taking a break for a few weeks. I need to run some extra experiments with meal timing and consuming sure meals by themselves + at the side of different meals.
Any questions on Nutrisense? Is that this one thing you assume you’d do? In case you determine to strive it out, you should utilize the code GINA50 for $50 off 🙂