Be taught all concerning the well being advantages of cashews, in addition to methods to prepare dinner with them with these high 5 recommendations on methods to use cashews within the kitchen.
Cashews, although generally known as nuts, are literally botanically thought of seeds! These versatile, protein-packed sources of vitamins are initially native to Brazil, however are grown in heat climates around the globe right this moment. Actually, I’ve seen cashew bushes rising in a couple of tropical areas I’ve visited (pictured beneath). Cashew bushes produce fruits which can be formed like boxing gloves, and every of those fruits maintain a single cashew nut inside a protecting—and toxic—outer shell. The cashews should be processed rigorously and roasted or steamed earlier than consuming to keep away from ingesting the outer shell. Curiously, the shell’s toxin is said to urushiol, the allergenic oil present in poison ivy.
The cashew fruit, which is a reddish yellow shade (proven above the cashew nut), may be eaten in a variety of methods: contemporary, cooked in curries, used to make jam, or fermented into vinegar and alcohol. It may also be used to make a candy fruit drink that’s well-liked in Brazil and different cultures.
The cashew nut, the star of the present, is a tasty supply of wholesome fat, protein, and dietary minerals, together with iron, copper, magnesium, and several other B nutritional vitamins. One serving of cashews, which is about 18 nuts, or sufficient to slot in the palm of your hand, has solely 157 energy and fewer than 9 grams of carbohydrates. One serving additionally supplies 5 grams of protein, 12 grams of fats and 1 gram of fiber, that are each essential for a nutritious diet!
One research discovered that incorporating cashews into the weight loss plan decreased LDL (low-density lipoprotein), often known as “unhealthy” ldl cholesterol, and a unique research discovered that consuming cashews raised HDL, or “good” ldl cholesterol. In all, cashews aren’t solely an awesome supply of macronutrients and micronutrients, however are additionally a tasty and heart-healthy snack.
One other nice aspect of cashews is their performance and flexibility in plant-based consuming. They’re important in a plant-powered kitchen, as a result of they are often whipped into creamy dairy replacements, in addition to toasted into quite a lot of dishes that match into each meal and class! Try these High 5 Methods to Use Cashews!
1. Combine into Your Path Combine. Heading out on a hike or taking a protracted highway journey? Strive making path combine with roasted cashews, dried fruit, and different nuts like almonds and peanuts. You may as well add home made granola for a style of sweetness—this granola recipe has a scrumptious mix of pumpkin seeds, coconut, raisins, hazelnuts, blueberries, and lavender that may fit your cashew path combine mix.
2. Make a Glass of Cashew Milk. Out of almond or soy milk, however want one thing in your cereal? To make cashew milk, all that you must do is soak some cashews in a single day and mix them up with some sweetener, vanilla extract, and salt! You’ll get a creamy, tasty beverage that’s excellent for espresso or cereal, or you should utilize it to make this spring-inspired natural Lavender Chai Latte.
3. Whip up Some Cashew Parmesan! If pasta dishes are a staple in your own home, you undoubtedly ought to have a jar of creamy Cashew Cheese available. This recipe solely has three components (cashews, dietary yeast, and salt) and takes only some minutes to organize. Better of all, it tastes similar to shredded Parmesan, so you possibly can sprinkle it on something, from spaghetti to pizza!
4. Add to your Stir-Fry or Curry. Cashews are generally utilized in Southeast Asian cuisines and may be blended right into a curry or added on to a stir-fry for a nutty, savory taste. Strive roasting them beforehand for much more of a crispy texture. They’re additionally an awesome protein supply, so add them alongside tofu or tempeh on this stir-fry recipe for a protein-packed dish!
5. Mix up Cashew Cream. This versatile addition to your plant-based cooking routine simply can’t be beat. Cashew cream may be added to savory dishes, equivalent to lasagna, sauces, tacos, and salads, in addition to desserts like puddings, tarts, and desserts. Learn to make cashew cream in this step-by-step guide.
You’ll go nuts for these different recipes that embody cashews:
For different guides on methods to use plant meals, try the next:
Written by Kathryn Atkinson, dietetic intern with Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN
Photographs by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN